Our Faculty & Staff
Business Literacy Instructor/Corporate Work Study Coordinator
Cristo Rey Richmond High School is a Catholic learning community that educates young people of limited economic means to become men and women of faith, purpose and service. Through a rigorous college preparatory curriculum, integrated with a relevant work study experience, students graduate ready to succeed in college and in life. Cristo Rey Richmond High School will soon be a part of the largest network of high schools in the country that exclusively serve families of limited economic means.
CHARACTERISTICS OF A CRRHS TEACHING CANDIDATE
- Aligned with the school’s Catholic identity and mission to foster the academic and spiritual growth of high school students to become men and women of faith, purpose and service.
- Driven to work for justice on behalf of urban students who wish to have a Catholic college preparatory education
- Values the corporate work study experience as a place of learning and growth for students
- Belief that every child is deserving of an excellent education that prepares them for college and life beyond college
- Willingness to receive feedback, engage in frequent dialogue and the ability to self-reflect
- Collaborative in advancement of the mission
- Belief in data-driven instruction
- Ability to connect with and engage urban students and families
The Business Literacy Instructor/CWSP Coordinator is a key team member in the daily operations of the Corporate Work Study Program (CWSP). This individual will plan, organize and implement an appropriate instructional program in a secondary Catholic learning community in accordance with the Cristo Rey Network curriculum, Common Core and Virginia State Standards. Specifically, this position will instruct business literacy in a classroom setting 75% of hours and will be a key member of the CWSP team as a coordinator on non-teaching days.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish and maintain a positive classroom environment
- Plan rigorous lessons aligned to the prescribed standards
- Develop culturally and academically-relevant assignments and assessments
- Demonstrate strong classroom management skills
- Differentiate lesson plans for a variety of learners
- Adhere to a scope and sequence
- Implement feedback from administrators and instructional leaders regarding lesson plan design and/or implementation
- Support instruction with school-wide supplemental programs
- Maintain grade books and meet grade reporting deadlines
- Communicate with families regarding student academics and behavior
- Tutor students in need of remediation
- Utilize planning periods for the advancement of student academics
- Attend faculty and department meetings as well as in-service and professional development workshops, as directed by the administration
- Encourage and monitor the progress of individual students and use information to adjust teaching strategies.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students’ progress and development
- Update all necessary records accurately and completely as required by laws, network policies and school regulations.
Corporate Work Study
- With CWSP staff, develop curriculum and programming for three-week summer training program.
- With CWSP staff, develop and monitor a retraining program for students in need of remediation after the termination of a job placement.
- Uphold the Cristo Rey mission, vision and values
- Embrace school-wide systems and promote high standards of behavior
- Collaborate with school leadership, providing input to school programs
- Actively participate in professional development sessions
- Communicate professionally with peers, supervisors, parents and students
- Adhere to professional guidelines as indicated in the staff handbook
- Participate in school-wide culture, academic and faith formation events, including, but not limited to, admissions events, parent/teacher conferences, Faculty/Staff Retreats, and Student Retreats which may fall on evenings and weekends
- To supervise students by being present at school masses/assemblies
- Value and support the Corporate Work Study Program as a place of learning and growth for students
- Know, teach and follow school-wide routines and procedures (CRRHS non-negotiables)
- Perform other duties as assigned
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: No supervisory responsibilities for other positions.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart information to a range of students and families.
- Outstanding interpersonal and public relations skills and the ability to communicate and work effectively within a diverse community.
- Ability to foster a collaborative work environment.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, schedule, and complete job tasks effectively and accurately.
- Ability to skillfully use all Microsoft Office components.
- Ability to appreciate and communicate a passion for Catholic college preparatory education.
- Proven ability to report to work on a regular and punctual basis.
- Perform all other related work delegated or required to accomplish the objectives of the total school program.
- Knowledge and implementation of relevant technology.
- Meet professional teacher education requirements of Cristo Rey Richmond High School, the Cristo Rey Network and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Superior communication skills, the ability to interact confidently and effectively with school staff, students, donors, trustees, school administration.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), Google for Education, and current instructional technology.
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team that requires humility, integrity, tolerance a desire for continuous improvement and openness to feedback
- Commitment to the Mission, Vision and Values of CRRHS.
- Sensitivity to the ethnic, cultural, racial and religious backgrounds of the students.
- Bachelor’s Degree (required).
- Possession of a valid Virginia teaching license with an endorsement in business or related field (required).
- Two years of urban teaching experience (preferred).
- Bilingual (preferred).
- Experience in a faith-based school or not-for-profit environment (preferred).
Full-time, salaried position. Occasionally, time will be required for night and weekend meetings and events. Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, operate a computer, hand-held learning devices and other office equipment, reach with hands and arms, and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
APPLICATION PROCESS A complete application will include:
- Cover Letter: Please write a letter (limited to 2 pages) that answers the following:Describe your philosophy of education and how you would put it into practice at Cristo Rey
- What attracts you to the Cristo Rey mission? How do you feel you are a match for this unique opportunity to be an instructor at Cristo Rey Richmond High School?
- What challenges do you anticipate in being a member of the teaching staff at Cristo Rey Richmond High School during the founding years? In what ways can you add to the richness of the program?
- What (in your background) prepares you to relate to and teach students of limited economic means?
- References: Please list 3 professional references (include email address and phone number
Please email your completed application as an attached PDF to [email protected]
with the subject title “Business Literacy Instructor”