"Student workers are welcomed as an integral part of our team, given regular responsibilities just as our employees, and expected to be productive contributors in their departments. Not only do the students live up to our expectations, but our employees also have the opportunity to mentor young people in our community–this is a successful program all around.”
- Rick Hans, Divisional Vice President
Investor Relations & Finance, Walgreen Co.
The signature and differentiating component of Cristo Rey schools is the Corporate Work Study Program (CWSP). Through this innovative program, students earn a majority of their education cost, gain job experience, and realize the relevance of classroom learning while providing real services to local businesses. In turn, the CWSP helps address workforce development challenges most companies face by developing minority candidates with the social and technical skills to perform the jobs of the future.
Companies contract with the Corporate Work Study Program for full time, entry level jobs. The CWSP is separately incorporated, functioning like a temporary employment agency within Cristo Rey schools. Cristo Rey students are employees of the CWSP, not of the Corporate Partner. Thus, the Corporate Partner pays a competitive annual fee to the CWSP, not to the student. Four students share one job and provide coverage Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., from August 1 through June 15. Students rotate their schedules, each working five full days a month. Academic schedules are structured so that students never miss class.
All payroll, legal, tax, logistics, and transportation issues are handled by CWSP. The US Department of Labor has authorized Cristo Rey to operate the Corporate Work Study Program within federal child labor laws. All Cristo Rey students complete proper I-9 form documentation. By providing one job, your company gives four students an opportunity for a great start to their business careers.
Cristo Rey Richmond students will earn a majority of the cost of their educations, about $13,000 per student, by working at jobs in some of the finest companies in Richmond. Their parents, of whom 100% live at or below the national poverty line, pay tuition on a sliding basis. The combined income and tuition of the students and their family’s covers around 70% of the cost of education. The remaining 30% comes from traditional fundraising. By donating to Cristo Rey Richmond, your company becomes a co-investor in the futures of our students, which lead from high school graduation through college to a life full of possibility.
In the summer of 2018, Cristo Rey Richmond will be hiring it's founding Director of Advancement. Until then, please contact our Director of Administration, Katie Yohe at firstname.lastname@example.org.