Becoming a Partner
Every Cristo Rey student takes a full course load of college preparatory coursework for four years, as he or she also participates one day each week in a four-year Corporate Work Study Program to fund a majority of their tuition costs.
Students at Cristo Rey Network schools work in teams of four. Each student works five full days a month, during the school day, for a local business. Their academic schedules are structured so that students work without missing any classes.
We are incredibly grateful for the support the Richmond community has already shown to the Corporate Work Study Program since Cristo Rey Richmond opened its doors in 2019. By matching business interests with the educational and economic needs of our students, we provide them their best chance of overcoming the financial barriers that limit their educational and professional opportunities. We are the school that works in the heart of Richmond!
How to partner with Cristo Rey Richmond
Hire a Team of Students
The signature and differentiating component of Cristo Rey Network schools is the Corporate Work Study Program (CWSP). Through this innovative program, students earn a majority of their education cost, gain job experience, and realize the relevance of classroom learning while providing real services to local businesses. In turn, CWSP helps address workforce development challenges most companies face by developing minority candidates with the social and technical skills to perform the jobs of the future.
HOW IT WORKS
Companies contract with the Corporate Work Study Program for full time, entry level jobs. Cristo Rey Richmond students are employees of the CWSP, not of the Corporate Partner. Thus, the Corporate Partner pays a competitive annual fee to the CWSP, not to the student. Four students share one job and provide coverage Monday through Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. from September to June. Students rotate their schedules, each working five full days a month. Academic schedules are structured so that students never miss class.
All payroll, legal, tax, logistics, and transportation issues are handled by CWSP. The US Department of Labor has authorized Cristo Rey to operate the Corporate Work Study Program within federal child labor laws. All Cristo Rey students complete proper I-9 form documentation. By providing one job, your company gives four students an opportunity for a great start to their business careers.
BENEFITS TO BUSINESS
- Reliable, Successful Workers – Cristo Rey students have a 98% daily attendance rate and 95% “meet or exceed expectations” on performance evaluations completed by supervisors.
- Diverse Talent for the Future Workplace – Cristo Rey schools are creating a 21st century pipeline of skilled, minority workers that corporate American can employ.
- Giving Back – What better way to give back to the community than by mentoring and cultivating tomorrow’s work force?
BENEFITS TO STUDENTS
- Financial Aid – CWSP provides a stable source of revenue to fund school operations. All CWSP earnings are applied towards student tuition, covering the majority of the cost of students’ education.
- Real Work Experience – Cristo Rey students work real jobs in law, finance, healthcare, technology, marketing, university and many other professional offices. Students develop and hone social and technical skills in practical context.
- New Horizons – Cristo Rey students not only learn about future career possibilities, but also apply classroom lessons to their workplace experience, making clear the relevance of their schoolwork. Successful business leaders are role models for students, elevating self-esteem and confidence, inspiring new goals, and raising future ambitions.
For more information on how your company can work with Cristo Rey Richmond High School, please contact our Corporate Work Study team, at CWSP@cristoreyrichmond.org or (804) 447-4704.
Fund a Job
Companies or individuals who are not able to employ a team of students have the opportunity to fund a job at one of Richmond’s nonprofit organizations. Current “angel funders” are allowing students rich work experience at the Children’s Museum of Richmond, the Virginia Museum of History and Culture, the Virginia Museum of Fine Art, the Science Museum of Virginia and Commonwealth Catholic Charities, just to name a few. Please contact email@example.com to learn more.
Corporate Readiness Institute (9th graders)
Through the generous funding of the WILLIAM R. KENAN, JR. CHARITABLE TRUST, our Corporate Readiness Institute trains all 9th grade students in entry-level business skills, professional etiquette, and personal development, for the first quarter of the academic year, prior to their deployment to their corporate partner. They emerge as confident speakers with a positive work ethic who are ready to use their basic skills in word processing and data management.
Provide Services/Materials in Kind
We accept in-kind donations for a variety of reasons. In particular, in-kind gifts are a wonderful way to help support our annual events. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Cristo Rey Richmond Corporate Work Study BrochureDownload
Watch this short video on the program