CWSP Frequently Asked Questions
How does it work?
The Cristo Rey Richmond Corporate Work Study Program (CWSP), Inc. operates much like a temporary employee leasing agency. The students of the high school are the legal employees of the Work Study Program, not the corporate partner. In addition, the CWSP handles all payroll, W-4, I-9 compliance, Workers’ Compensation, FICA, FUTA and other employee concerns for the students. The Cristo Rey Richmond Corporate Work Study Program complies with all federal and state Department of Labor regulations. We have received their official approval to operate.
Will the students receive training before they begin working in our office?
Yes, students are trained in:
- Communication and relationship building
- Basic Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Customer service skills
- Standard office equipment operation
- Office etiquette
- Dressing for success
- Conveying a positive first impression in the workplace
- Phone skills
- Filing and document handling
- Confidentiality and ethics in the workplace
- Workplace safety
- Team building
Do students choose where they work?
After considering students’ skill levels and college/career interests and the skill sets needed by our corporate partners, the Corporate Work Study Program staff will determine where students are placed.
As a partnering business, what responsibilities do we have?
Your three biggest responsibilities are to:
- Provide a positive work environment for the student workers.
- Provide a supervisor who believes in the program and the success of Cristo Rey Richmond student workers.
- Provide meaningful work for the student workers and explain to them the importance of their role.
If I have a problem with a student worker, do I deal with them directly?
If there is ever an issue with a student worker in the workplace, you should address it directly first, as with any employee, and contact the Corporate Work Study Program Office so we can support your corrective efforts. Our team will follow up with the student worker the next day to resolve any lingering issues and address growth moving forward. Student workers may be replaced if there are persistent issues. In these rare cases, another student worker may be assigned.
Why should a business participate in the program, and how much does it cost?
The cost of the program will be decided annually based on the CPI for the region and other budgetary factors. The fee is competitive in relation to entry-level pay rates in the region. There are many reasons to participate:
- Add productive, motivated, diverse entry-level employees.
- Cost-effective services for your business.
- Free up lower-level employees for more value-added work.
- Contribute to your workforce diversity.
- Students do not qualify as a headcount.
- Benefit your local community with immediate payoff – give back without ever leaving the office. Mentor the next generation of Richmond region employees.
- Cristo Rey Richmond Corporate Work Study Program handles the administrative expenses.
- Develop a culture of community involvement among your employees.
Are there guarantees to ensure the success of the students and program?
Each student worker receives one academic credit for the work study program, annually. Each student is also formally evaluated on his or her performance twice during the school year. Student workers also have an opportunity to evaluate their workplace. Daily timecards are completed by student workers and by their company supervisor. That feedback is reviewed by the CWSP team and any issues raised are addressed prior to the next workday for that student worker. In addition to the workshops mentioned above, additional workshops and trainings are conducted throughout the year to assist student workers in their learning process.
Is there a dress code?
Cristo Rey student workers are held to strict standards and are required to wear their formal Cristo Rey uniform, in transit and at work. Students must adhere to their dress code at all times. Companies are welcome to request special accommodation on a case basis.
For more information on how your company can work with Cristo Rey Richmond High School, please contact the Corporate Work Study Office, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (804) 447-4704.